Brazil Players Oppose Hosting Of Copa America
Brazil players are unhappy with the decision to host this summer’s Copa America in the country, manager Tite has revealed.
Earlier this week, South America’s football governing body CONMEBOL installed Brazil as the new hosts of the 2021 Copa America after initial hosts Colombia and Argentina were stripped of the hosting rights.
Colombia was stripped of the hosting rights on May 20 as a result of political unrest in the country while a sharp rise in coronavirus cases in Argentina left CONMEBOL considering their options on Sunday, with the 10-team tournament set to run from June 13 to July 10.
Brazil host Ecuador in a FIFA World Cup qualifier on Friday and ahead of the game Tite made his players’ stance known in the pre-match conference.
"We've asked the athletes to focus only in the game against Ecuador," Tite said. "Then they've (the players) asked to speak directly to the president (Caboclo).
"It was a very straightforward conversation. And then the players' stance has also become very clear. We have a position but we will not reveal it now.
"Our priority now is to play well and to win against Ecuador.
"We understand that the situation will become clear after this international break. They (the players) have an opinion, they've told it to the president and they will tell it to the people at the right time.
"That was the reason why Casemiro, our skipper, wasn't here for this interview."
Brazil hosted and won the 2019 edition of the Copa America.